The Old Church School, Carlsruhe

Luxury rural retreat  bed & Breakfast

South Australia

  • 1856 -   first German Lutheran families arrive

  • Carlsruhe named in honour of Carl Ahrens, first settler

  • 1864 - St John’s Lutheran Church built

  • 1876 - First Carlsruhe school built

  • 1918 - name changed to Kunden as a result of the resentment and hostility towards all things German because of the Great War

  • 1930 - The Old Church School, then called the Kunden School, was built on land donated by local farmer Ernst Behn

  • 1959 - school closed and became the St John’s Church Sunday School

  • 1980 -  tennis courts and the clubhouse built as home for the Kunden Lutheran Tennis Club

  • 2004 - property sold to present owners

  • 2010 -  Old Church School B&B opens

The first day of school, 1930

History...